Author Topic: Trapped  (Read 3604 times)

Offline bahgheera

• Modal Globerator
  • Administrator
  • Testing, testing
    • View Profile
Trapped
« on: November 15, 2009, 05:21:01 PM »
I stand before the door. It trembles and rattles, the knob loose in its mount rattling back and forth with a sinister intent. There are no windows in this room, no light save for that coming under the door, which is just enough illumination for me to see the shiny false brass of the doorknob under assault from whatever is on the other side. I can also see the only other thing in the room with me. A dark mass against the wall opposite the door, difficult to make out in the dim light. At first it appeared to be a pile of rags or scraps of material, maybe dirty laundry, but as my eyes adjusted to the darkness I could see that it is clearly a body. Who's body I have no idea, but I have a dreadful feeling that it's someone I know.

I've been here for  quite a number of hours now, with emotions running the full gammut - fear, anger, love for life, sadness at the prospect of losing it, but mostly fear. I see the shadow of my assailant in the midst of the light under the door, moving back and forth, rapidly, sometimes running away but always returning moments later. He, she, or it makes no noise, but for the incessant rattling, pounding, scratching at the door.

At this point, having abandoned hope, I realize there is only one way out. I unlock the door and grasp the knob, turn it quickly and fling the door wide open.